– Establish a Library Board
– Provide library and information services
– Establish, control and maintain state library service within the State
– Act as an advisory body and consultant for school libraries and other categories of libraries in the State
– set standards and policy for the establishment and maintenance of school libraries within the State
– be responsible for the implementation of government policy in libraries of all categories in the State
– provide in accordance with this Law, such services as are in the opinion of the Board provided by libraries of high standing.